Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A day late and a dollar short.

I'm not good with deadlines. Especially when it's for something that I consider a hobby. I really wanted to participate in two recent blog events, SFH #27 Chocolate by Brand and Waiter, there's something in my...Stew but I failed to make it happen. The sad part is, I made the food and took the photos but when it was time to write it up, the pull of Sam snuggled under two down comforters was too strong. These recipes deserve to be shared, though , so here they are.
Hedonistic Fudgies -
Once you've had these, you will be able to retire all other chocolate cookie recipes. I fed these to several coworkers and friends and comments ranged from "awesome cookies", "all the best parts of brownies" and "those are the richest cookies ever".


2 c. chocolate chips
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 c. butter
4 eggs
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 c. chocolate chips

Melt chocolate and butter together. Mix eggs, sugar and vanilla until just combined. Stir together dry ingredients. When chocolate is melted, stir in egg mixture. Add dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Scoop onto cookie sheets and bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. Timing is important here. This batter cannot really sit or you will not get the pretty crackly crust you see in the picture. If you only have one cookie sheet, you might want to halve the recipe so you can bake them all at the same time recipe. I used a commercial oven and large sheet trays for these. As for baking, do not overcook these. The edges should be set but they should be pretty soft in the middle when you take them out of the oven. They will set quite a bit upon cooling and you definitely do not want to miss out on biting into the perfect mix of crisp edge and squigy middle with melted chips. Have a big glass of milk at the ready and a plan for how you are to dispose of the extras. I ate one in the car on my way to work and then gave the rest away. They are too dangerous to have around!

Clamizo Stew- I hardly ever make up recipes and when I do, they are rarely worth repeating. This stew is an exception and a good example of how sometimes simple is best.

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2-4 leeks, chopped (white parts only)
Spanish Chorizo, chopped in small dice (I used 1/2 of a U-shaped link)
6 medium potatoes (I used the purple vikings and I thought the potatoes would just bulk it up but they were actually my favorite part)
51 0z. can chopped clams
28 oz. can Muir Glen Fire-Roasted tomatoes (diced)

Saute leeks in oil. Add the chorizo and fry until starting to crisp (3 minutes) Add the potatoes, clams and tomatoes and cook on medium until the potatoes are tender. Serve with warm, crusty bread. I know this may sound like a weird combo of ingredients but it just works. The smokiness of the chorizo is echoed in the fire-roasted tomatoes and the whole is definitely equal to more than the sum of its parts.

9 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, yum! I'm totally making Hedonistic Fudgies soon. I think I have all the ingredients on hand (hmmm...maybe not unsweetened chocolate, though I can probably sub cocoa powder + fat).

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum yum!!! where in madison do you get chorizo? fraboni's?

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I believe Fraboni's is one of the few places that carries Spanish chorizo.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Partly Cloudy Knitter said...

Whoa! Those cookies/brownies were great! I started them yesterday because I thought I had all the ingredients. Then found out that the baking powder in the cupboard was about 20 years old and the new can had gone home with my baking son. I ran to the store and finished them and we are in love! Thank you.
Cathy in MN

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Molly Bee said...

Tried the cookies last night but they didn't look all pretty-like like yours. Really flat and not shiny crust. They taste yummy though. Two questions. Is it really only 1/2 cup of flour and what temp do you bake them at? Thanks for your help! (I work with Sam!)

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison- I wouldn't mess with this recipe because even as written they don't always come out perfect.
Do try them though!

Suey- Yup, Sam's right. Fraboni's it is.

Joe- Send it and I'll have a cookie bake-off!

qoe- Yeah! I'm glad you tried them and liked them.

Mollybeees- Ooops! I bake them at 350. It really is just 1/2 c. flour, that's why they are so good! I admit they can be a little tricky. Did you scoop and bake all of them right after you you mixed the batter? That is key.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

I know you're a flickr gal now, but I had to pop in here to tell you I made the Hedonistic Fudgies for a pregnant friend (and Matt took some to a lab meeting). Everyone agrees they are amazing. I used unsalted butter and couldn't fathom a saltless cookie, so I added 1/2 tsp of salt. I used the big 60% cocoa Ghirardelli chips. They are GLORIOUS. Glorious, I tell you. Crisp, crackly outside, chewy, gooey, chocolatey inside. I am so glad you posted this recipe, because it is a new favorite of mine. And even better, they're so rich, I can only manage to eat one, which makes it practically diet food.

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Angie said...

What kind of chocolate chips did u use? semi-sweet or what?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home