Thursday, February 08, 2007

Happy Birthday Blog!

Sorry for the unscheduled blog vacation. It started as a simple mechanical difficulty.
I practically killed myself by tripping over my laptop cord and destroyed it in the process. It held on for a few days and I got used to reduced computer usage. I read entire books, I finished long overdue knitting projects, and I tried a recipe I've been wanting to make for about 10 years.
That's Tourte Milanese from Baking with Julia. It's homemade puff pastry stuffed with herbed scrambled eggs, spinach, swiss cheese, ham and roasted red and yellow peppers. It tasted even better than it looks!
What I really need to do though is concentrate on my business. I just found out that I have to sign up for farmers' markets by March. Gah! It all takes longer than you think and I leave for SF for the marmelade class in just a few short weeks.
Anyway, I am unfocused and slightly crazed but I couldn't miss posting today because it is my Blogiversary AND to think I missed World Nutella Day! Here's a tower of cupcakes with nutella buttercream frosting to celebrate one year of blogging and the frosting recipe for you, my faithful readers. Please leave a comment if you read this post, it would make my day!


Nutella Buttercream Frosting
(based on Classic Egg White Buttercream from Rose Levy Bernbaum's The Cake Bible)

4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 c. sugar
2 c. butter, slightly softened
1 jar nutella (I don't know the size I used but I think it would be condsidered "medium")

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form and then begin adding butter by the Tbsp. If the mixture begins to curdle, increase the speed and beat until smooth. If this doesn't happen, all is not lost. I just added the rest of the butter and then added the nutella. I was a little afraid I was wasting all that precious nutella but buttercream magic prevailed and it all came together in the end. This is a really easy buttercream. If you've wanted to get away from store bought frosting and want to try your hand at "real" buttercream (this is in a whole different league than frosting with confectioner's sugar) then this is the frosting for you.

I won't be posting very often this month but if you still want to check in with me I have started a photoblog as a side project. ( I know! I have way to many hobbies to be an entrepreneur!) I got tired of posting crappy pictures to my food blog so decided that I wanted to become a better photographer. See how it's going...

Pamplemousse @ My Expressions

16 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a comment to say 'hi', I really enjoy your blog, and I'm looking forward to trying out these preserves when you're up and running at the farmer's market.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger big.tea said...

Happy Birthday! I found you during my search for June Taylor's preserve recipes. I have become obsessed with her preserve techniques and am so jealous that you are going to take her class! I have been toying with the idea of marketing my preserves, too and will enjoy following your entrepreneural adventure. And.... you knit, too! Food and all things knitty, my favorite things.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Vanessa said...

Lee, happy Blogday. See ya Saturday.

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee, i absolutely love the photoblog! Maybe I will start one myself. I love it!! And thanks for the nutella frosting recipe. I just might try it out myself. XOXOXO

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogging Birthday Lee!

See you on Mardi Gras...

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey darlin'! nutella butter cream....yum!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Tea said...

Happy Blog-birthday!
As a way to make sure you keep posting, I've tagged you for a meme (which of course you don't have to do if you don't want). Info's on my blog.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Tea said...

PS. When are your SF dates again?

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! Nutella buttercream sounds like an inspired way to celebrate, as does the Tourte Milanese.

I agree with you about buttercream being in a completely different league than confectioner's sugar frosting. Like night and day!

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blogaversary to you too!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Freya said...

Both of those dishes look so yummy! But I think I would go for the savoury one over the sweet...
BTW, my husband is from WI (but we live in the UK) and he says to mention to you how much we love State Street...!
Happy Anniversary!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger leedav said...

Thanks everybody!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

So far behind in my blog reading! I hope you had a great blogiversary. I've really enjoyed the past year, and I'm excited to keep reading as your business gets going.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger charlotte said...

i'm so glad i found your blog via flickr - that torte looks amazing. as do so many of your other creations. cheers, lottie .

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post as for me. I'd like to read more about that topic. Thank you for giving that data.
Joan Stepsen
Tech gadget

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BAN TERBAIK DI INDONESIA GT RADIAL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home